With the current inquest into the Hillsborough disaster and the announcement yesterday that the Battle of Orgreave wont be investigated, people are questioning the recruitment practices of South Yorkshire Police.

Chief Superintendent Michael Jeffries went on the record to clear up some concerns.

'Let me assure you from the get go that we have a very professional force.'

'Since 1972 we have taken only the very best dressed men and women. Most had kitted themselves out at 'Mr. Magoo's Magic And Fancy Dress Emporium.'

'All we had to supply once they arrived were the handcuffs and off they went. Serving us proud.'

But what of training and ongoing development?

'Did you not hear what I said? They were fully trained by visiting the costume shop. We gave them cuffs and off they went.'

What do you think the word trained means?

'Putting your clothes on. I got well trained this morning. Look, I've got a nice little tie pin I was given by a friendly local youth.'

'It's got a little piggy on it.'


 
Top